Every woman's basic NEED and DIGNITY..
Millions of women across the world use sand, ash, old rags, dry grass, newspapers and even plastic sheets in the absence of sanitary pads.
The culture of shame and silence results in great hardship, indignity, and health risk to countless girls and women.
NJPC - A Million Voices is an initiative to bring together voices from around the globe to end the culture of taboo and shame around this natural process !!
A million voices
bringing together a million voices from around the globe on menstruation..
- About 65% of women and girls in Kenya can’t afford sanitary pads. Girls loose around 3.5 million learning days every month, due to lack of basic facilities during menses.
- At least one in five girls in India drop out of schools due to menstruation’- a research by AC Nielsen and Plan India.
- ‘India accounts for 27% of the world’s cervical cancer deaths, almost twice the global average’- WHO. ‘poor menstrual hygiene is partly to blame.’ -Doctors
- Almost 50% girls of age 14 to 17 knew nothing about menstruation- a research in Karachi, Pakistan.
- The plastic in a pad takes 500 years to degrade. Every year we add the equivalent of 180 billion plastic bags to our waste by using plastic laden feminine hygiene products.
- Every year, over 45 billion pads are dumped in landfills in USA and Canada only!!
- Barely 12% of India’s menstruating women use sanitary pads, which itself means 36 million women disposing the pads every month!
- Over 12 Billion pads and tampons are used once and disposed of annually in USA itself.
- Around 70% of women in India say their family can’t afford to buy sanitary pads.
- It is estimated that a woman throws away approx. 125 to 150 kg of sanitary products in her lifetime, a huge addition to the existing garbage.
- Cervical cancer kills around 72000 Women in India every year, more than 26% of the deaths worldwide.